To celebrate the end of summer, I decided to do a little baking with one of Cowboy’s absolute favorite flavors – lemon! I came across a recipe for lemonade cake in a recent issue of Cooking With Paula Deen. And let’s be honest, nine times out of 10 her recipes turn out yummy. Could it possibly be the oodles of butter? Most definitely, but for the occasional splurge, who says you can’t have a little fun?
Here are my notes on this lemony delight.
The Recipe: Lemonade Cake
The Source: Cooking With Paula Deen Magazine (click here for the official recipe)
- I made the cake exactly as directed with one exception, I only added 1/2 tablespoon of lemon zest. My lemons were tiny, and it was all I could eek out. It was still lemony good, so I don’t think I missed anything.
- For the icing, I added 2 tablespoons of milk to get the consistency I wanted, as well as to take a smidge of the tartness out.
- The finished product was quickly gobbled up at the farm. The cake was perfect, slightly dense and super moist. But the icing was a little sweet for me. Admittedly, I’m a cake girl, but Cowboy is an icing guy and he gave it a thumbs up. I think I might try it with a vanilla icing next time.
- A couple of baking notes:
- I buttered and floured my cake pan to prep it. But like my mama taught me, I also cut a piece of wax paper to fit in the bottom of the pan. This ensure it pops right out, but of course be sure to remove the wax paper!
- When adding my eggs to the mixer, I crack them into a small mason jar and then add them to the batter. And yes, I learned this the hard way, as I cracked an egg and all of its eggshell glory into batter once while the paddle attachment was mid mix. And let’s face it, that just makes quick work of the eggshell, and then your entire batter is crispy, crunchy, ruined. It’s easiest just to avoid this with a little extra step.
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe, so give it a try and share your thoughts.
6 thoughts on “Farmtastic Recipe – Lemonade Cake”
Tammy, this looks and sounds delicious!
Let me know if you try it out. Would love to hear your thoughts. And big thanks for reading the blog! Miss you!
This sounds great. I love lemon anything!
It was definitely yummy and my hubby, aka Cowboy, is a lemon fan as well. Let me know if you try it out and what you think. Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Have a blessed day!
I just made this cake for Superbowl. I was hoping I didn’t mess up. Was yours really dense and moist too? It weighted like a ton! And it took 45 mins to bake, not 30? I’m a pretty good baker. So I know I followed the recipe to a tee. Can you share anything else?
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. Yep, this is a dense moist cake, not your normal sheet cake. I’m half tempted next time to try it in a bundt pan and drizzle icing over it. I don’t remember it taking extra long to bake, but a lot depends on oven temperatures. Hope you were still able to enjoy it.