It’s that time of year when gyms fill with hopeful new members, weight loss commercials jam the air waves, and we all resolve to strive to be better versions of ourselves in the coming year. Which of course got me thinking about life around the farm, and just exactly what would the animals resolve for 2014 (or rather what would I wish that they would resolve to do).
So to get the year started off right, here’s a few words from the critters here on the farm.
From the horses
- Ranger – Everyone knows that I’m the looker on the farm, so I resolve to get my gorgeous mane in fewer knots. Mom loves to brush me, but I don’t enjoy the talking to that I get when I’m a mess.
- Sweet Suzy Q – I love to eat, in fact it’s my favorite thing, but sometimes I get a wee bit pushy when it comes to dinner time, banging gates and what not. I resolve to take it easy on the gates and other things that I find to make noise, as I know my mom and dad always keep me in great grain and hay.
- Smokey – Well I’m often full of hot air just blowing at everything new that comes my way, so I resolve to tone it down a bit. I mean my mom and dad know that I’m really just blowing smoke (ha ha)!
- River – I’ve really come to love my humans, so I resolve to continue to build up my confidence. Oh, and to take my wormer much easier. Dad really doesn’t love being covered in wormer paste.
From the donkeys
- Mama Rose – I resolve to finally let my humans pet me. I mean it’s been four years and they spoil us so much, it’s really the least I could do.
- Sweetie Pie – I resolve not to chase or bite my humans’ cars (or their family members’ cars). While they are quite yummy, I truly do prefer some fresh hay.
From the dogs
- Goober – I resolve to get a grip when Cowboy asks me to go outside. It is very silly that I act like my legs are totally new and go slipping and sliding out the front door. And Cowboy has been nothing but nice to me, so I suppose I could give him a break.
- Dixie Doodlebug – I resolve to eat a little less and walk a little more. I mean in my younger days I was a tennis ball chasing fool, but no one is fully buying that it’s just my thyroid.
- Abby – I resolve to try to cut down on the shedding. While I do love leaving my signature white puffs floating all around, my mom would love it if we could make a vacuum cleaner bag last more than a week.
- Maybelle – Well I am just so darn cute, I don’t really know why I need to resolve to do anything differently other than just being my sweet adorable self. My mom may disagree, but I’m sticking to it.
From the cats
- Rhinoceros – I resolve to torment the dogs a little less, although I do love watching over their water bowl as they salivate and wish I would move.
- Willie – I resolve to be more patient with Maybelle. I’m doing my best to school her into being a proper pup, but she is just so enthusiastic it wears my old bones out.
- Shadow, Bear, Grizzly, and Chip – Since we’re a little family within the farm family, we decided on a family resolution, which is that we will not run around like crazy cats at night when it is time to go to bed. It really does wear our humans out and we are truly grateful that they took us in.
- Nightmare – Since I’m the true barn cat around here, I resolve to continue to prowl the barn, but when I find great prizes, e.g. mice, I won’t always display them quite so proudly, as it really freaks out my mom.
And as the human that belongs to all of these wonderful critters, I resolve to keep up with our blog much better so that they can share all of their antics with you.
Best wishes and blessings for 2014 – from our farmtastic life to yours!